Friday, August 26, 2011

Thursday night from Orlando.

Cameron King, Addison Shock (logistics volunteer from SIFAT) and I are safe in Orlando, FL at Katharine Zimmerman's home.
We left Nashville at 7:00pm in our Barron N74EM, picked up Addison in Lineville, AL at 8:00 (and were blessed by runway lights), arrived in Orlando, FL at 11:00pm, grabbed some Jimmy John's Subs and are now knocking out for the night!

Right before we left Nashville I was able to speak with Randy and KP. They were both checking on my home and it was actually the only place they found cell service...convenient. Here is there short handed report.
                                                                                                     
Randy:
BMH Office roof above above back door gone.
Boys dorm on front side of Camp damaged.
A lot of shingle damage at Camp.
ALL vegetation stripped, it looks like an F4 or F5 Tornado (Randy's from Oklahoma...tornado alley)
James Cistern did pretty well.
Some roof damage and the front road was hit pretty bad from the storm surge.
James Cistern Church pretty good.
I could have sworn the Eye went right over us ... but NEMA says something else.
Difficult to find out information about the storm, the news was about two hours behind the storm, not real helpful.
We lost electricity at 8:00am but KP has the generator going for us.
Audrea from Hatchet Bay said they are good.
Cat Island I heard is really bad.
No Fatalities or Injuries!
Governor's Harbour - BTC (cell) Tower snapped in half.
Rainbow Bay got pretty big hit.
GHB Airport, supposed to be open sometime Friday...
Inagua has blue skies and basically all good.
                                                                                                     
KP:
(All said with a smile of relief that I could hear through the phone! You know the smile and laugh I'm talking about!)

We lost some shingles at the Cottage.
A lot of roof damage at Camp.
"Nobody croak so that's good..."
40 people stayed at Camp during the storm, but most have gone home.
A few older folk still at Camp.
I set up the generator for the dining hall.
One plane over the fence at GHB ... "Flip and Mash right up!"

                                                                                                    
NEEDS:
Food
Pole Saw
Chainsaw, Oil, Chains
Large Tarps
Button Cap Nails

Cameron King will be organizing the donation of relief supplies so please wait for her instructions after she returns to Orlando Friday afternoon.
Many of you have already donated Home Depot e-Gift Cards
(Recipient Email: MethodistHabitat@gmail.com) which are wonderful!
You can also Donate Funds on-line. We will use these desperately needed funds to efficiently purchase and ship immediately needed materials to families that have to secure their roofs as well as purchase fuel for our airplanes that will be delivering the supplies!
                         
                                                                         
As you can see, we are indeed blessed by the protection that covered Eleuthera during the storm!
Tomorrow brings a new day with new celebrations and new opportunities to serve in our response to the destruction that Irene left in her path.
Our initial plan is to get on the ground Friday, hug our friends and family, drop supplies, assess the immediate needs and then send Cameron back to Orlando to resupply and release the rest of our aviation fleet of volunteer pilots.

Pictures and more details to come Friday as soon as we can share them with you. Keep praying with us and keep the East Coast of the US in your prayers as Irene continues northward.

Please DONATE to our assist in our Response and Relief Efforts.

Peace and Love.
BMH Family
                                                                                                   
Verse of the Day from the Upper Room:
A great word for the day!
Jonah 2: 1-10


2:1 Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the belly of the fish, 2 saying,"I called to the LORD out of my distress, and he answered me;out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice. 3 You cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, and the flood surrounded me; all your waves and your billows passed over me. 4 Then I said, 'I am driven away from your sight;how shall I look again upon your holy temple? 5 The waters closed in over me; the deep surrounded me;weeds were wrapped around my head 6 at the roots of the mountains. I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me forever; yet you brought up my life from the Pit, O LORD my God. 7 As my life was ebbing away, I remembered the LORD; and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple. 8 Those who worship vain idols forsake their true loyalty. 9 But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay. Deliverance belongs to the LORD! 10 Then the LORD spoke to the fish, and it spewed Jonah out upon the dry land.

No comments:

Post a Comment